2006 Jun 22 15:45

Re: [vox-tech] Need some help choosing a linux flavor for an oldlaptop

On Thursday 22 June 2006 15:48, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Donald Greg McGahan (dgmcgahan@sbcglobal.net):
> > An option could be XUbuntu Dapper 6.06 LTS because it uses XFce as
> > the window manager. Quite snappy.
>
> Note that you can convert an installed Ubuntu system to almost
> exactly what a Xubuntu install disc creates using this commands:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop && apt-get remove
> ubuntu-desktop

No. That won't convert *anything* because all of the ubuntu-desktop
dependancies will still be lying around.

The best way is to let aptitude figure everything out at once:
$ sudo aptitude install xubuntu-desktop ubuntu-desktop-

(The minus at the end of a package name means to uninstall, even though
an install statement was given)

And aptitude will take care of removing unused dependancies (i.e. unused
software packages that were part of ubunutu, but aren't part of
xubuntu)

This is a general technique you can use in other cases, for example, to
switch between a pair of conflicting packages. Since you can't install
both at the same time, you may need to specify the remove at the same
time as the install if aptitude didn't guess the need for the remove to
begin with.

At the very least, you should *not* reverse the commands that Rick has
given, because if you were to do that (using aptitude), you'd likely
have to reinstall a bunch of stuff you had just deleted.

--Ken