2006 Jun 26 17:03

[vox-tech] Xen + LVM usage

In the last talk I mentioned using LVM to save disk space with Xen.

The idea being that the pristine disk image is stored for your favorite
linux distribution and then only the changes are stored for each virtual
instance.

So virtual machines could share a single 4GB system image and only keep
the differences (likely to mostly be in /home and /etc.) It's documented
in section 6.3 of the Xen 3.0 manual.

Seems pretty elegant to me, every virtual machine shared the same pristing
image, yet they can edit/change anything they want (except the kernel).

I didn't quite catch the speakers explanation of why this might be
a problem.

--
Bill Broadley
Computational Science and Engineering