2006 Jun 18 23:36

Re: [vox-tech] Mp3 Stereo to mono

Nick Schmalenberger wrote:

[...]

Any suggestions on this are quite welcome, keep in mind that these audio files are for analysis of bird songs in a scientific setting so any alteration of the actual original audio is unacceptable as we might lose valuable information from filters and adjustments.
If authenticity is so important, why are you using MP3 in the first
place?

It seems you have already accepted some level of filtering ... so the
best you can do is avoid changing the encoding.  I am pretty sure that
stereo encoding combines the channels to maximize compression, so the
resulting mp3 of one channel will have to be re-compressed, which will
inevitably lose information.

Anyway, Audacity should be able to do what you want, though I am not
sure how scriptable it is.

I agree that mp3 seems somewhat inappropriate. As for the editing,
audacity can do this easily, but it may not work well for large files
because it keeps the entire audio data uncompressed while you are
working on it. You should look at sox, which will also be helpful if you
have many files because it is a command line tool.
Nick Schmalenberger

Ah, good call, looks like that will be very useful.
Also I realized that the way I built the adapter I'm actually getting my mono signal duplicated to both channels so they are identical. Therefore if any method that converts stereo to mono averages the channels the average of identical tracks will be the same. (Thank you sox man page)

One less concern, thanks -Alex