2006 Jun 18 01:26

Re: [vox-tech] Mp3 Stereo to mono

Alex Mandel wrote:

[...]

Any suggestions on this are quite welcome, keep in mind that these audio files are for analysis of bird songs in a scientific setting so any alteration of the actual original audio is unacceptable as we might lose valuable information from filters and adjustments.
If authenticity is so important, why are you using MP3 in the first place?

It seems you have already accepted some level of filtering ... so the
best you can do is avoid changing the encoding.  I am pretty sure that
stereo encoding combines the channels to maximize compression, so the
resulting mp3 of one channel will have to be re-compressed, which will
inevitably lose information.

Anyway, Audacity should be able to do what you want, though I am not
sure how scriptable it is.