2006 Jun 17 19:10

Re: [vox-tech] Backing Up Photos

Bob Scofield wrote:
I'm thinking about backing up digital photographs. I'm trying to decide if I should use CD's or a flash drive for the backup. Is one medium better than the other?

Thank you.

Bob

Although I haven't tested it, I've been thinking of a redundant external HD and then CD & or DVD backups in a safe deposit box at a bank or something similar. I would probably test the CD/DVDs every couple of years and reburn or move to whatever the latest storage method is, hoping of course that the disks last better in a nice climate controlled room. Alternately I've been thinking about getting a humidity controlled box for film, this might double for disks now that I think about it more.

And ditto on the offsite idea, but gmail would be a pretty cumbersome way to store a lot and a pain to transfer large quantities so maybe an offsite web server with ssh so you can sftp things in.

Alex