2006 Jun 19 10:24

Re: [vox-tech] Why change default ssh port?

Re: [vox-tech] Why change default ssh port?

Quoting Micah J. Cowan (micah@cowan.name):

> Did you mean "brute-force-style", there? 'Coz I've seen that, too...

I've seen both (what looked like) truly brute-force namespace exhaustion
attacks and more-focussed ones.  What boggled me is seeing ongoing
attempts at the former type.

> I'm not /too/ worried about dictionary-style attacks, as my first name
> is fairly unusual..

On the other hand, if your Web page is findable, then the e-mail address
corresponding to the URL isn't difficult to determine -- even
algorithmically.  This is why it's logical to worry about the
password-selecting habits of _all_ of your *ix system's shell account
users, if they have home pages.