2006 Jun 13 13:09

Re: [vox-tech] Wireless Networking Confusion

On Sunday 11 June 2006 14:23, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> Well, with all WAPs I have had experience with, they are
> configured as routers with a NAT firewall on the upstream
> side, and you have omitted the upstream network configuration of your
> WAP.  However, in that case you need DIFFERENT network numbers on the
> upstream side (your LAN) and the downstream side (your Wireless network).
> The fact that one laptop works would suggest that you have worked this
> out, but in previous posts you have mentioned using 192.168.1.x for your
> wired LAN so it seems worth bringing up.

My WAP is at 192.168.1.254.  I have it connected to my router, so it could get
a DHCP address if I wanted it to, but I preferred to have it stick with a
consistent number.  The WAP doesn't do any of the routing, though.  But this
way I can also turn off the wireless network in my house if I need to without
affecting the wired computers.

> Also, I try to use DHCP and config the WAP to assign specific IP addresses
> by MAC address if I want "static" setup... this is much more flexible
> for the laptop configuration.

Hm.  I'm not sure how I would go about doing that, but it sounds like a neat
idea.  My WAP is a Linksys WAP

I was able to get the wireless card working properly, though; it turned out
that on this computer, if eth0 is enabled and up, then for some reason I
can't get to local computers with wlan0.  I executed ifdown eth0, and
removed "auto eth0" from /etc/network/interfaces, and wlan0 works fine now.

"That which does not kill me makes me stranger."
    -Llewellyn, from Ozy & Millie