2006 Jun 11 16:49

[vox-tech] Wireless Networking Confusion

[vox-tech] Wireless Networking Confusion

I have two laptops, both running Kubuntu Dapper, both updated.  Both have the
same brand and model wireless card, which is enabled in both with
ndiswrapper.  However, for some reason, I can get to computers in my local
network with one, but not with the other.  The other laptop -- an old IBM
Thinkpad -- can get to sites outside my home network just fine when a network
cable is inserted into it.

My wireless configurations appear to be the same for each (with the exception
of the IP address; both computers have static IP addresses in my network).
My WAP is not configured to filter according to MAC address.

The section of /etc/network/interfaces for each computer is the same:

iface wlan0 inet static
address 192.168.1.xxx
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
wireless-essid RLYEH
wireless-key xxxxxxxxxx

auto wlan0

(For one, the IP address is .115; for the other it is .122)

I can't think of anything I might have missed.

"That which does not kill me makes me stranger."
    -Llewellyn, from Ozy & Millie