2006 Jun 04 12:06

Re: [vox-tech] C - passing chars and pointer to chars

On Sunday 04 June 2006 10:28, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Sun 04 Jun 06,  9:57 AM, Ken Bloom <kbloom@gmail.com> said:

> > > Although this was interesting to read, it doesn't say much other
> > > than to restate my observation in a more sophisticated way.
> >
> > IMO, all that matters is that the axiom is the reason.
> >
> > --Ken
>
> BTW, you mentioned that it was a generalization of the fundamental
> axiom of the C++ type system -- what is the fundamental axiom?  That
> sounds like something I should know, but I've never heard of it.

Oh. I didn't make that comment easy to parse, did I. The "fundemental
axiom" is something I just named, based on observing this kind of
behavior throughout the language.

> BTW, "void *" seems to be an exception to the axiom:

Maybe everything is a void.

> Herr Godel would say that this type of thinking is why it took
> humanity over 2000 years to discover non-Euclidean geometry.   ;-)

There are other languages that break the axiom, but they're just that:
other languages.

--Ken