2006 May 31 14:37

[vox-tech] [Semi-OT] cygwin ssh and home directory

[vox-tech] [Semi-OT] cygwin ssh and home directory

I'm setting up OpenSSH server under Cygwin on my WinXP box at work.
My home directory on my system is a mounted folder:

  //someserver/users/billk

When I open a normal cygwin terminal shell, I land at the mountpoint I have
for that folder, my "H:" drive.  In cygwin lingo, that's:

  /cygdrive/h/

However, when I try to ssh into my box (e.g,:  "ssh localhost" from within
a cygwin terminal), I get complaints that my home directory is inaccessible:

  Could not chdir to home directory //someserver/users/billk: Permission denied
  mkdir: cannot create directory `//someserver/users/billk': File exists
  Copying skeleton files.
  These files are for the user to personalise
  their cygwin experience.

  These will never be overwritten.

  /usr/bin/install: cannot create directory `//someserver/users/billk': File exists
  /usr/bin/install: cannot create directory `//someserver/users/billk': File exists
  /usr/bin/install: cannot create directory `//someserver/users/billk': File exists
  -bash: cd: //someserver/users/billk: Permission denied

I've Googled and found references to "SYSTEM" (uh...?) and messing with
cygwin's "mount" command, but I've had little luck, and am not sure what
a good _permanent_ solution is.  (In other words, when I come in tomorrow
and reboot, I can simply "ssh" without manually mucking with things
beforehand.)

(Oh, and FWIW, I'm doing this on my desktop as a sandbox for something we'll
be running on *ugh* a Windows-based server here at work.)

Thx in advance!

bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/