2006 May 26 12:04

Re: [vox-tech] Cannot Connect to Comcast highspeed

Re: [vox-tech] Cannot Connect to Comcast highspeed

wenk@puddleglum.homeip.net wrote:
On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 07:29:05AM -0700, Jeff Newmiller wrote:

Ryan wrote:

On Wednesday 24 May 2006 07:47 pm, Tim Riley timriley-at-appahost.com |lugod| wrote:

On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 19:26 -0700, wenk@puddleglum.homeip.net wrote:

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 04:47:24PM -0700, Tim Riley wrote:

Hello Linux Gurus:

I'm trying to connect to Comcast's portal to the Internet
but without success.

<snip>
One thing to check out is if the MAC
address you are using in Windows ME matches the one that you are using
in Linux.
It doesn't match. Windows ME is another machine.

Comcast will only let the MAC addr that it was setup with to
go through.
Oh my God! This can't be true. They are scum if this is true.

I'll pull out the interface card in my Windows ME machine and
install it in my Linux box to see if Comcast is scum.

I've changed MAC addresses with comcast here in davis, but you need to shut the modem off for a few minutes in between for some reason.
I can second this, but thirty seconds should be sufficient.  It is
NOT necessary to do MAC address cloning or move ethernet cards on Comcast.
Having a router of some sort is by far the most convenient solution if
you have multiple computers.

I refute this(at least in Sacramento) as of last year(Sept/Oct timeframe), I had a dead linksys card, which I replaced with a newer linksys card.
Unfortunately, in doing so, eth1 became eth2, and the new card became
eth1. I switched the line, powered the cable modem off(longer than 30
seconds, less than 300) repowered everything. I did get an IP(which the
original poster did not), but I couldn't get anywhere, nor did I get
DNS. I called in, and the guy I spoke with had me go to a website.
Once on there, I had to do some hoop jumping, but in < 30 seconds, my
full system was back in business.
I admit I am curious if this is something that has changed recently, or
if Comcast in Davis is different than Comcast in Sac
I used Comcast in Davis until last year, and now that I am in the Bay
Area, I still use it.

During initial installation, you have to visit a default website to
activate your cable modem, but that was done, I have in both
places switched machines using a brief power-off.

It sounds to me like something affected your cable modem.