2006 May 25 20:38

Re: [vox-tech] Cannot Connect to Comcast highspeed

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 07:29:05AM -0700, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> Ryan wrote:
> >On Wednesday 24 May 2006 07:47 pm, Tim Riley timriley-at-appahost.com
> >|lugod| wrote:

> >>It doesn't match. Windows ME is another machine.

> >>Oh my God! This can't be true. They are scum if this is true.
> >>
> >>I'll pull out the interface card in my Windows ME machine and
> >>install it in my Linux box to see if Comcast is scum.
> >

> >I've changed MAC addresses with comcast here in davis, but you need to
> >shut the modem off for a few minutes in between for some reason.
>
> I can second this, but thirty seconds should be sufficient.  It is
> NOT necessary to do MAC address cloning or move ethernet cards on Comcast.
> Having a router of some sort is by far the most convenient solution if
> you have multiple computers.

I refute this(at least in Sacramento) as of last year(Sept/Oct timeframe),
I had a dead linksys card, which I replaced with a newer linksys card.
Unfortunately, in doing so, eth1 became eth2, and the new card became
eth1.  I switched the line, powered the cable modem off(longer than 30
seconds, less than 300) repowered everything.  I did get an IP(which the
original poster did not), but I couldn't get anywhere, nor did I get
DNS.  I called in, and the guy I spoke with had me go to a website.
Once on there, I had to do some hoop jumping, but in < 30 seconds, my
full system was back in business.

I admit I am curious if this is something that has changed recently, or
if Comcast in Davis is different than Comcast in Sac

Mike