2006 May 25 14:16

[vox-tech] KDE on Kubuntu

Should be a no brainer, right?
I have an HP ZV6000 laptop with AMD 64 this has ATI 200M
video chip Couldn't get headers to match pre-built kernel so
I custom built kernel. Was able to build fglrx kernel module
and it loads OK. But when I do startx, it hangs.
ctrl, alt, backspace doesn't abort X. I did ssh into box first.
I was able to do ps -A showd startx, xinit and Xorg tasks
running. top showed Xorg using 99%+ of the machine.
I think it is a really tight loop because it starts to get really
hot like it does when you run memtest. I did a kill to the
Xorg tasks and the ssh connection went dead. I had to
force power off. After re-boot I looked at logs but nothing.
Xorg.0.log shows all ok. messages shows some reports
from fglrx but they look routine.
Has anyone seen this??

Richard Harke