2006 May 24 22:39

Re: [vox-tech] Cannot Connect to Comcast highspeed

On Wednesday 24 May 2006 10:01 pm, Tim Riley wrote:

> This is true. I moved the interface card that was initially
> used for the Comcast hookup to my Linux machine, and now
> it works (great by the way).

You don't have to do this.  You can just use MAC address cloning(Beats me how
to set it up, but google probably knows) to work it.

> > > Oh my God! This can't be true. They are scum if this is true.
> >
> > I'm changing the subject here.  But I was curious if anybody knows why
> > Comcast does that.
>
> I over-reacted calling Comcast scum. This is a shocking
> revelation, however. My guess is security -- this is probably
> the only way Comcast knows I'm me.

I had thought it had something to do with billing(For awhile I tried having
both my systems on the modem directly, they charged me an extra 10$ or so a
month),but perhaps I am wrong.  Also, it has always been this way, even as
far back as when it was Comcast@Home back in 2000.  In fact I remember this
being the fact back in columbus when I had a cable modem(this was late 1996)

Oh, and I have called comcast much worse over the years(though admittedly,
lately they have been OK.)

Mike