2006 May 24 11:20

[vox-tech] Incredible Disappearing Mouse

[vox-tech] Incredible Disappearing Mouse

I'm using Debian Etch/Testing with a stock 2.6.15-1-686 kernel, Xorg, KDE/KDM.

Has anyone else experienced spontaneous disappearing mouse pointers with
a similar configuration? Periodically, the mouse pointer disappears and
no amount of mouse jiggling will make it come back.

It's a bog-standard Microsoft PS/2 wheel mouse.

A look at dmesg shows:

psmouse.c: Wheel Mouse at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost synchronization,
throwing 2 bytes away.

The command:

$ sudo modprobe psmouse

restores the pointer; then another look at dmesg shows:

input: ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse as /class/input/input3

The only explanation I can think of is that my four-port KVM switch is
interfering. Except this pointer problem happens even if when I haven't
switched away from my main box for a while.

Any ideas?

--
Marc Elliot Hall
621 River Moss Drive