2006 May 23 11:47

[vox-tech] Building kernel for kubuntu

I have a laptop with athlon 64 and I have installed kubuntu amd64
I built custom kernel at version 2.6.12 source from ubuntu and with
ubuntu patches.
I can't get it to boot. It claims /dev/hda1 doesn't exist. But it certainly
exists for the install kernel. I suspect a problem with the initrd because
I had that problem on another machine (not amd64, Debian) where
docs said not to use mkinitrd but something newer. In the end I had
to use mkinitrd, the image made with the newer tool couldn't be
loaded. The current inird is built with mkinitramfs (Don't remember
if this was name on the other system) I installed initrd-tools which
has mkinitrd and tried that. But I don't get a file! Command is:
        mkinitrd -o initrd.img 2.6.12_G1 where 2.6.12_G1 is the version
of the kernel I built.
Does anyone know what is going on?

Richard Harke