2006 May 20 23:45

Re: [vox-tech] KDE with automounter, external hard disk, and rsync

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 01:14:05PM -0700, Bruce Wolk wrote:

> udev will enable you to have consistent locations.  See, e.g.,
>
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7316
>
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev.html

I concur.  udev looks at the unique names of USB devices, and allows you
to match them (or regexp match them), and have the devices appear at
specific points in /dev.

This stuff all feels a bit like the wild west to me, still, but I also have
two joystick adapters (PS->USB, Atari2600->USB), a Zaurus cradle, an iPOD,
a digital camera, a memory card reader, and probably more junk...

bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/