January 6: Social gathering
2006 May 08 13:48

Re: [vox-tech] google cache not giving me love.

Re: [vox-tech] google cache not giving me love.

Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
Not understanding how to use Google cache.

I have a broken link:

   http://www.dancefreak.com/steps.htm

which I was able to find, via a normal google search (and clicking "cache"
instead of the main result link):

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:ySMw4JQ0uxQJ:www.salsafreak.com/stories-s/steps.htm+the+mystery+of+salsa+timing&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=5

However, I should be able to type:

   cache:www.dancefreak.com/steps.htm

but Google complains that the search didn't match any documents.  How come I
was able to find the page using a normal Google search and clicking "cache",
but I can't find the page using a cache: search?

The reason why I care is that there's another page:

   http://www.dancefreak.com/dance_styles.htm

which is also broken.  I'd like to snatch a cached version of the page and
store it for posterity.  And, of course,

   cache:www.dancefreak.com/dance_styles.htm

doesn't work either.

Thanks,
Pete

from June 2003 http://web.archive.org/web/20020603202937/http://www.dancefreak.com/dance_styles.htm

One reason google may not keep cached pages beyond a certain time frame?
The internet archive is permanent, I forgot how many TB they're up to now (1000+)

Alex