2006 Apr 28 15:52

Re: [vox-tech] regex help - matching literal []

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 04:19:34PM -0500, Ken Bloom wrote:
> On Friday 28 April 2006 16:05, Micah J. Cowan wrote:

> > > Sounds like you need to double up on the backslashes -- once for
> > > the compiler's parsing of string literals, and once for the regex
> > > parser.
> >
> > You could also use "[[].*]".
>
> Hrm? I don't think so.
>
> [bloom@cat-in-the-hat ~]$ bsh
> BeanShell 2.0b4 - by Pat Niemeyer (pat@pat.net)
> bsh % System.out.println("[ioaudsoif]".matches("[[].*]"));
> // Error: // Uncaught Exception: Method Invocation matches : at Line:
> 1 : in file: <unknown file> : .matches ( "[[].*]" )
>
> Target exception: java.util.regex.PatternSyntaxException: Unclosed
> character class near index 5
> [[].*]
>      ^
>
> java.util.regex.PatternSyntaxException: Unclosed character class near
> index 5
> [[].*]
>      ^

Then it violates POSIX regex syntax. That's a broken response, IMO.

...Checking the Java specs, I see they've "extended" the character class
syntax.

*Sigh*, ah, well... it's a standard method for achieving this in sed,
grep, awk and vi; but for Java it looks like you'll need to
double-escape, as Rod suggested.

--
Micah J. Cowan
http://micah.cowan.name/