2006 Apr 25 11:19

Re: [vox-tech] Laptop WiFi Security

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 09:32:51AM -0700, Micah J. Cowan wrote:
> The problem is that attackers can see everything that goes to and from
> your computer. If it's financial information, or passwords, etc., that's
> not a good thing.

And in this case, wired or wireless doesn't matter.  Obviously, an open
wireless network is a lot easier to sniff around than your DSL line, but
remember... everything between you and your bank's website is moving your
bits around.  This is why banks and other sites that store/transfer important
private information should be using SSL (HTTPS).

<snip>
> A hacker won't be able to "view" your password on any Linux partition,
> provided you don't send it over the wire in the clear.

(e.g. by FTPing or Telneting into the machine.)

> Speaking of which: many (most?) ISPs still let you send cleartext
> passwords. If you're using IMAP or POP3, and you're not using them over
> SSL, and you don't have some box that looks something like "use secure
> authentication" checked, you're sending your password in the clear. You
> don't need to be on WiFi for that to be insecure.

Yep! :^Z

<snip>
> [machines] without a firewall can be very insecure on your cable or
> DSL modem, too: that's where botnets come from).

The Internet would be a much happier and quieter place if it weren't
for the idiocy and insecurity of Windows. :^/

bill@newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/