2006 Apr 21 13:54

[vox-tech] strange postfix error message

[vox-tech] strange postfix error message

Hey all,

I run FC5. I'm also running Postfix as my mail daemon
with a program called LogWatch that mails a system log
summary each day to my root account.

While browsing this logwatch yesterday, the following
snippet appeared in the Postfix section:

 --------------------- postfix Begin
------------------------

 5978 bytes transferred
 2 messages sent
 2 messages removed from queue

 Relaying denied: 2 Time(s)

 Unrecognized warning:

219-84-126-227-adsl-tpe.dynamic.so-net.net.tw[219.84.126.227]
sent non-SMTP
    command: Subject:?erelay ok?f<my-ip-address-here>
: 1 Time(s)
     personaljames.com[82.165.30.80] sent non-SMTP
command: From: "Chase Online"
                   <online@chase.com> : 1 Time(s)

 ---------------------- postfix End
--------------------------
(the field containing <my-ip-address-here> really did
have my actual IP listed, which I am keeping
confidential for security reasons.)

What exactly is that error message I see listed under
"unrecognized warning?" I don't think it's a mail
relay attempt, since it says just above that the
system already denied two of those. Is this some kind
of attempt to break into the system through the SMTP
port, and if so, is there any indication the cracker
was successful?

Thanks, Matt