2006 Apr 20 23:50

Re: [vox-tech] Accessing remote screen

John Wojnaroski wrote:

Ryan wrote:

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 09:56 pm, John Wojnaroski castle-at-mminternet.com |lugod| wrote:

or and associated screen?

you'll want to change the 'x' in DISPLAY=localhost:10.x to the screen number you want. screens start at 0.

to display something on the third sting you'd do

export DISPLAY=localhost:10.2

or, if you're using bash, you could do

DISPALY=localhost:10.2 xclock

to do it for just one command.

Thanks, Ryan, for the reply.

After a bit more work and research, think I'm getting closer and a little smarter ;-)

The applications running on the remote machine need to display to the local monitors and not back to the remote. Not sure if I made that clear in my initial query, just wanted to be sure we are "on the same page"

Part of the problem is that I can't get the server(s) to run on both cards. In the Xserver file there are two entries

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -layout TwinView
:1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 -layout PCI_CARD

and either can be started with linux$ startx -- -layout <name> but not both. The XF86Config file seems to be okay, in that when either display is started it comes up on the correct card with the proper monitor. Would seem to indicate that the layout, screen, and device sections of the config file are okay.

Okay , just a follow-up to th earlier post. It looks like everything is working properly to setup the X-windows system.

Using the DISPLAY command noted by Ryan I can start the xclock application on any of the screens on the local machine as well as sent back the display to the remote client. However, my developed opengl applications seem to prefer running on :0.0 irregardless of any other display/screen arguments tried with the DISPLAY=localhost:[display],[screen]

sounds like a software/programming issue? Using opengl with glut. Trying to find the function to accept/query for the specified display context and bind the output. Looking for code source examples or tutorials on how to do that -- assuming that appears to explain why common x-apps work and the locally created examples don't.

Regards
John W.