2006 Apr 11 09:47

Fwd: Re: [vox-tech] Automating web site interaction

(Chris posted the following from a non-subscribed address.  I'm passing it
along to vox-tech on his behalf...)

----- Forwarded message from vox-tech-bounces@lists.lugod.org -----

Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 11:37:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Jenks <chris@jenks.us>
Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Automating web site interaction
To: lugod's technical discussion forum <vox-tech@lists.lugod.org>

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006, Bruce Wolk wrote:

>Does anyone have a recommendation for some software that I can run as a
>cron job to go to a specific website, autheticate itself on a login web
>page with a userid and password, then go to a specific page on the site and
>mimick a button click?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Bruce

  Dear Bruce,

  I've written software like that in perl. There are libraries available
that do the form parsing and button clicking for you. I haven't looked for
an application to do it, though. It seems like setting up the application
would be as complicated as the programming anyhow. If you decide to go
with perl, let me know and I will dig up some old sample code.

  Yours,

    Chris

----- End forwarded message -----

bill@newbreedsoftware.com