2006 Apr 04 12:19

Re: [vox-tech] Etch sources.list

Quoting Troy Arnold (troy-vox@zenux.net):

> Debian is an extremely popular choice for a server OS, much more so than as
> a desktop, I'd say.  And above all else, server admins want stable,
> predictable behavior.  If you have servers that have run fine for years and
> continue to do their job, there's not a lot of incentive to upgrade them.

When there's a security breach because you are now on an unmaintained
branch and are missing crucial updates, the server's behaviour suddenly
becomes unpredictable, again.

Personally, I think the "role" keywords (testing, unstable, etc.) are
almost always a wiser idea than are branch names, reflecting as they do
the distance you wish to remain from the advancing leading edge.