2006 Mar 21 20:37

Re: [vox-tech] Debian packager source install

Re: [vox-tech] Debian packager source install

Dylan Beaudette wrote:
On Monday 20 March 2006 04:01 pm, Alex Mandel wrote:

I know the title isn't quite clear.
Here's the scenario:
I want to install a program that isn't in the package manager for
Ubuntu. The catch is that it may be soon, so how do I make a .deb (I
think I've got instructions for this) and then how do I install it so
that I can easily uninstall or upgrade when it officially comes out in
the archives?

Here's what I've got so far, does this do what I want?
(Can I get a little explanation on what's going on here?)

sudo apt-get build-dep qgis
apt-get source qgis
cd qgis-0.7.4
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot

Also will this work for files that I have in a download(VM Server Beta),
what about an rpm converted with Alien?

Thanks - Alex

Hi Alex,

here is how it built QGIS on an Ubuntu machine:

http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/drupal/node/134

cheers,

Thanks Dylan those instructions are very clear. It doesn't quite answer my question though. I know that Dapper will have the 64bit with Grass plugin all ironed out next month. So say I follow your directions, how would I uninstall so I can upgrade to Dapper but keep my configuration files or migrate them(not so important). Your method uses make install, whats the uninstall for that?

Qgis just happened to be the example I'd tossed around a few months ago(I'm actually running the 32bit in chroot).
But VMWare Server is what I'm playing with right now. I think what I have will do what I want, but what does the -rfakeroot do?

Alex