2006 Mar 02 10:52

[vox-tech] Dying Power Supply killed drive

[vox-tech] Dying Power Supply killed drive

So, before I could migrate machines, which was next on my list of things to do, 1/2 my power supply went out.
The 1/2 that kept my hard drive going of course; when I figured this out I got the drive booted off the remaining lines and at least got it to see the hard drive.
Linux started to boot, kernel unpacking, then somewhere in the middle of initialization before X starts it just hangs & jumps me from the Ubuntu loading screen back to
"uncompressing kernel..."

Ok, so how do I recover the drive?
-Knoppix and make some tweaks?maybe find a bootlog

-reinstall the OS and remount my home, I think I have a copy of /etc in my home that I could restore (I don't think it has my most recent Zope and Cups tweaks from last weekend but I could redo those)

-Pop the HD into another machine and rescue the files then move them to a fresh machine

I've used many a program in windows to recover lost files on windows for Fat & NTFS but never for EXT3, what should I use?

Thanks,
Alex