2006 Feb 28 11:43

Re: [vox-tech] STDOUT and /dev/null

Richard S. Crawford wrote:

*/5 * * * * wget -q http://our.server.com/admin/cron.php > /dev/null 2>&1

As I understand it, this should be directing any output from cron.php to
/dev/null.
It only redirects standard output and standard error. It doesn't prevent wget from creating new files. Wget's normal behavior is to create a file to save the downloaded data. Redirecting standard output or standard error won't change that.

Wget has a "-O" option to control the name of the file that the downloaded data is written to. Either of these should do what you want:

wget -q -O - http://our.server.com/admin/cron.php > /dev/null 2>&1

wget -q -O /dev/null http://our.server.com/admin/cron.php > /dev/null 2>&1