2006 Feb 25 03:18

Re: [vox-tech] Defrag of Shared drive

On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 10:07:52PM -0800, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
> Compared to an actual defrag, this operation is
> risky.  A power interruption could disrupt the process
> at an unpredictable state.  If performed as an incremental
> backup (multiple prior savepoints) and restore it could be effective,
> though it would be disruptive to file timestamps and
> filesystem flags.

For timestamps, "-a" (aka "--archive", which is the same as "-dpR"[*])
would be useful, right?

-bill!
[*] -d is --no-dereference (never following symbolic links) and
    --preserve=link (to preserve the symbolic links);
    -p is --preserve=mode,ownership,timestamps (to preserve those attributes);
    -R is recrusive, as described in the original concept