2006 Feb 27 17:44

Re: [vox-tech] linux and viruses

Hey Matt,

First off, I can't disagree with the others who say that if this is something your sysadmin doesn't want to learn about, you'll turn green in the face before he absorbs anything you tell him.

That being said, there is something else that is standard in *n*x systems - and that is that (almost) *all* services have to be enabled, since they are either disabled or not installed by default. This is not the case necessarily with Windows services.

Having everything off by default also is a significant issue in terms of security problems. The other (perhaps more) significant issue that was mentioned as I was writing this is that services do not run as root by default in *n*x, which also poses a major problem for all those Perl/JavaScript cross-platform virus/malware authors out there since the amount of damage that can be done is greatly reduced.

HTH,
dan

And what about malware? Is Linux resistant to that as
well?