2006 Feb 21 08:55

Re: [vox-tech] Irritating KDE Error Message

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 12:03:23PM -0800, Bob Scofield wrote:
> Today I started getting an irritating error message when booting into KDE:
>
> "Could not start kdeinit.  Check your installation."
>
> When the message comes up on this system (Debian testing), KDE stops booting.
> But if I click "OK," then KDE resumes booting.  So far I haven't seen
> anything on KDE that is not working.  (I'm typing this message in Kmail.)

I went to ask in the "#debian-kde" channel on irc.freenode.net, and lo and
behold, today's /topic is set to:

  FAQ: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianKDE | bug: Could not start kdeinit
  check your installation. Cause: libxft2 in bug. Solution: libxft2 from
  stable

Someone in the channel suggested this, though:

  [12:34] <chealer> kendrick: tell him to get sid's libfreetype6

Good luck!

--
-bill!                                    Tux Paint 2006 wall calendar,
bill@newbreedsoftware.com                CDROM, bumper sticker & apparel