2006 Jan 31 20:53

Re: [vox-tech] using windows pathnames in cygwin

Re: [vox-tech] using windows pathnames in cygwin

On 1/31/06, Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.org> wrote:
In cygwin, I'd like to type "vi /etc/profile" and have gvim come up, editing
/etc/profile without necessarily running X.  That means I need to rely on a
win32 installation of gvim, rather than the gvim that comes with cygwin.

I've installed win32 gvim in C:\Program Files\vim, but when I do:

   /cygdrive/c/Program\ Files/Vim/vim64/gvim.exe /etc/profile

gvim comes up with:

   "Cannot open swap file for \etc\profile", recovery impossible

and I find myself editing an empty file.  Eventually, I'd like to make
"/usr/bin/vi" an alias for "/cygdrive/c/Program Fiels/Vim/vim64/gvim.exe".

Is there a way to use win32 gvim from within cygwin and have the pathnames
work out?

Hi Pete,

When I installed gvim, I also installed the bat files for running from the command line.  It's an option when installing gvim.  It puts batch files in the Windows directory, so you can merely run:

gvim.bat file

I have successfully aliased vi to /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/gvim.bat, & it works.

Foo