2006 Jan 30 11:51

Re: [vox-tech] gcc easy question

Alex Mandel wrote:
I guess what I'm confused about it that I'm running.
$./configure
$make
With projects that use configure, you can often build the entire software package outside of the source code tree. After unpacking the source into (for example) /some/path/a, you'd create the directory /some/path/b, cd there, and then run "../a/configure". If the package maintainers are on the ball, all of the new files will be under /some/path/b.

However, this still still leaves you with a bunch of intermediate files mixed in with the final files, so it's probably not what you're looking for.

As you can see from the above commands, maybe it's not one step. I need the results of make to end up in a directory on its own. Right now I'm using a diff program to extract new files that didn't exist in the source files but this gets me a lot of files, a ton with the .lo extension and I'm not sure I need these for the one component I need to run.
There's no hard and fast rule for distinguishing between intermediate files and final files in the build area. As I understand it, most packaging systems run "make" to build the software and then "make install" to install it. Then you can look at what files were installed to see what has to be included in the distribution and where they should go.

To avoid actually installing the software into a live system during this step, maintainers usually use some trick or another to make the "install" process copy the files into a private directory tree. E.g., when the "make install" step wants to copy a file into /usr/bin, there are ways to make install into, say, /var/tmp/foobar/usr/bin instead. I don't have any specific advice on how you can do this, but this is the kind of thing you should probably be looking for.