2006 Jan 27 13:11

Re: [vox-tech] update on the audio CD problem

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 12:37:31PM -0800, Bob Scofield wrote:
> Thanks for the step by step directions.  I had been using KSCD for music CD's.
> But KSCD's volume is poor.  XMMS really projects nice volume.  I had been
> using XMMS for radio, but not CD's.

I think the issue here is that XMMS, if it's doing the "digital extraction"
method as Pete recently described, is taking the digital CD data and
pumping it to the sound card.  In that case, it's probably being output
as "PCM" sound.

KsCD is simply sending a command to your CD player: "Play", and the audio
is passed between the CD drive and your sound card (inside the PC via a little
cable).  It's being used as an input (like a Mic or Line-In would be).

In that case, it's probably wise to check both the "Master" output volume,
AND the "CD" input volume,  In KMix in KDE, it's literally "CD" in the
"Input" tab.

I'd be curious to see how CPU usage is affected when one uses XMMS 'digital'
vs. XMMS 'analog' or a tool like "cdplay" or KsCD...  Anyone feel like
running "top" and listening to some tunes? :)

--
-bill!                                    Tux Paint 2006 wall calendar,
bill@newbreedsoftware.com                CDROM, bumper sticker & apparel