2006 Jan 17 14:48

Re: [vox-tech] Adding extra repository to Ubuntu

Re: [vox-tech] Adding extra repository to Ubuntu

Bill Kendrick wrote:
On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 06:21:51PM -0800, Alex Mandel wrote:
So I'm trying to use GIS tools on Ubuntu and need to get a newer version of QGIS installed.
According to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGIS
I just need to add
deb http://www.orcaware.com/packages/ubuntu/ breezy/
deb-src http://www.orcaware.com/packages/ubuntu/ breezy/

Which I do and synaptic refreshes, but the newer version of QGIS which I can see is in the repository by browsing the web does not show up in synaptic. What do I need to do to force the upgrade or make synaptic find it?
Dumb question: did you tell synaptic (or apt-get or aptitude) to "update"?
That is, download the latest information on available packages from the
repository?

(I don't use synaptic, so I don't really know what it does when it
"refreshes."  I imagine if it does it quickly, it is _not_ doing anything
like an "apt-get update"... that takes about a half minute for me, even on
a fast computer with a DSL line.  10s of 1000s of packages in Debian. :^) )

Good luck!

Yes, when you change repositories in the GUI it asks you if you want to update(It implies that its working when it says checking repo 38 and 39, before adding the new one I only had 37), then there's also a nifty little button called Mark All Upgrades(= apt-get upgrade) which I do every so often in addition to the update notifier that Ubuntu runs.

I'll do a manual apt-get update when I get home though in case it was being odd.

Alex