2006 Jan 14 23:55

Re: [vox-tech] Apt vs. Compiling

On Friday 13 January 2006 11:45 pm, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Robert G. Scofield (scofield@omsoft.com):
>
> Suggestion:
>
> Step 1.  Create /etc/apt/prefernces as follows:
>
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=unstable
> Pin-Priority: 50
>

> Step 2:  Add an "unstable" line to /etc/apt/sources.list:
>
> deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
> deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib
> deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
> deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free
> deb-src ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib
>

> Step 3:  Fetch k3b from the "unstable" branch (and any dependencies):
>
> # apt-get update  &&  apt-get  -t unstable  install k3b
>

> Step 4:  Profit!

This looks like a fun and easy solution.  But here's a question.  What do I do
after Step 4 to keep other unstable packages from non-free and contrib from
being installed?  Is that problem taken care of by /etc/apt/preferences?  Or
should I remove preferences and then delete the references to "unstable" in
the sources.list?

Thank you.

Bob