January 6: Social gathering
2006 Jan 12 09:18

Re: [vox-tech] Replacing FC with Kubuntu in Dual Boot env.

Re: [vox-tech] Replacing FC with Kubuntu in Dual Boot env.

Jeff Newmiller wrote:
Mark Kim always used to advocate putting the grub bootstrap
at the beginning of a Linux partition and leaving the MBR
alone.  I think this relies on using fdisk to configure
the Linux partion that you have installed grub on
as the one which the standard MBR code should load
the operating system from.  The standard MBR code
then loads part one of the GRUB or LILO boot code from
the partition, as though it were loading the Windows boot
code from there.  The main differences are that Windows anti-virus
programs don't freak out about the MBR being nonstandard
and the boot process takes a few milliseconds longer.

I don't remember having such problems with altered MBRs,
but I haven't done much dual booting in awhile, either.

Thanks for the info. Last I checked none of my dual-boots have had problems with the standard grub install. The only problem I ever had like that was an old motherboard that thought grub was a boot sector virus, but that was chip based antivirus, not software. - Alex