2006 Jan 10 19:41

Re: [vox-tech] X resolution problems

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 08:58:14PM -0500, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> p@satan$ xrandr -q
>  SZ:    Pixels          Physical       Refresh
> *0   1280 x 1024   ( 325mm x 260mm )  *75
>  1   1024 x 768    ( 325mm x 260mm )   75
>  2    800 x 600    ( 325mm x 260mm )   75
>  3    640 x 480    ( 325mm x 260mm )   75

<snip>
> The screen's physical dimension is 355x285, so the value reported by xrandr
> is incorrect.  So much for DDC.  I tried setting:

Wouldn't that end up being overscanned?

For example, I connected my Atari 800XL to my VGA monitor using my old
"JAM!!" device.  I think, to the monitor, it comes out as a 640x480 mode.

However, I can see stuff in some games (bits off to the far right and left)
that I would not normally see on a regular TV or monitor... stuff that's
overscanned.  (This is why Commodores and Ataris had those big borders
around the edges :^) )

My solution was to go into my monitors settings and stretch the display
out until I could see much less.  Now games like Joust don't have weird
sprite artifacts along the right, and games that scroll don't have any
objects popping-up on the sides. :^)

But... maybe I don't understand X.org or RandR or VGA minitors enough to know
enough about what I'm talking about. ;^)