2006 Jan 03 23:16

Re: [vox-tech] Linux to Linux printing

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 10:07:58PM -0800, Alex Mandel wrote:

> I've been looking into Cups but I can never figure out the ipp
> connection string.
> Tonight I tried ipp://192.168.1.105:631/printers/HL-5150D
> but that just gave me an unable to connect message.

First you need to configure the printer in CUPS, and then try:

ipp://192.168.1.105/ipp/port1

 (but see below first)

> I also read that I should get a web interface if I browse to
> http://192.168.1.105:631

If cupsd is running and you are on 192.168.1.105 then yes you should.
The default is to listen only on the localhost, so you won't be able to
connect from another machine.  Add a Listen directive in
/etc/cups/cupsd.conf on 192.168.1.105:

Listen hostname:631

> I'm pretty sure I'm not running a firewall on that machine

Check again and make sure port 631 is open.

-David