Re: [vox-tech] Keyboard not functioning

On Fri 23 Dec 05,  9:14 PM, Hookand Crook <hookandcrook@gmail.com> said:
> tatus: RO
>
> On 12/23/05, Henry House <hajhouse@houseag.com> wrote:
> > Okay, this confirms that the regular desktop is X, started by a session
> > manager. I will explain since you said that you are very new to Linux.
>
> Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!! I appreciate learning these things. :)
>
> > Is there a file called .Xkeymap or something similar in his home directory?
>
> No, we found no such file. He did switch to the Gnome desktop and was
> able to use the keyboard, so possibly a KDE issue? I say this like I
> understand. ha!

I'm not too knowledgable about KDE (or GNOME, for that matter) myself, but
you can try this.  If there's some setting that got hosed accidentially,
this will recover from it:

1. Have your husband log in at the virtual console
2. Perform:   "mv .kde dot-kde"
3. Press alt-f7 to return to X.
4. Hit control-alt-backspace to kill X.
5. X will restart.
6. Have him log in.

Hopefully, the keyboard will work since KDE will have to generate new
settings.

Pete