Re: [vox-tech] Dealing with different UIDs and GIDs - UNRESOLVED

Re: [vox-tech] Dealing with different UIDs and GIDs - UNRESOLVED

Still working on this.

Funny story.  After mounting our home directory on the local mountpoint, and
experiencing great frustration in trying to get this working, I decided to
chmod the permissions on the mountpoint to 777.  Something must have misfired
in my brain, because I didn't realize that this would actually change the
permissions on my home directory on the server; I only figured it would
affect the mountpoint itself locally (I was sick that day -- that's my
excuse).  Then I went and forgot about having done that.  Then my hosting
service suddenly stopped sending e-mail for several hours, and I finally
wrote to customer service, who informed me that the mail server will not send
mail to an account if the permissions on that account's home directory are
not properly set.

Anyway.  Thanks for all the suggestions.  I did try adding the 'nobody'
account to the 'pairuser' group as suggested by Jan.  This is the command I
used:

# usermod -G nobody,pairuser nobody

but the message returned was:

"Unknown group 'nobody'"

...even though the 'nobody' group was listed in /etc/group.

And yeah, it is a cool toy.  I used it pretty extensively on my own computer
before I discovered the fish protocol in KDE, which I love.

--
Richard S. Crawford
http://www.mossroot.com