[vox-tech] gpg-agent issues

I'm trying to get gpg-agent running on my FC3 laptop so that I don't have to
type in my passphrase each time I send out an e-mail.  Unfortunately, when I
try to start gpg-agent with the command:

$ gpg-agent

I get the following error message:

gpg-agent: can't connect to '/home/richard/.gnupg/S.gpg-agent': No such file
or directory
gpg-agent: no gpg-agent running in this session

When I execute

$ ps aux | grep gpg

I see:

richard 7975 0.0 0.1 5632 860 ? Ss Dec15 0:00 gpg-agent --daemon

which makes me think that a gpg-agent actually is running.

When, for kicks and giggles, I try to execute:

$ gpg-agent --daemon

I get this error message:

can't connect to '/home/richard/.gnupg/log-socket': No such file or directory
GPG_AGENT_INFO=/tmp/gpg-4p6U8v/S.gpg-agent:10175:1 export GPG_AGENT_INFO;

...even though there is a file in /home/richard/.gnupg called log-socket.
However, that file appears to be empty.  Also, when I again execute

$ ps aux | grep gpg

after invoking the gpg-agent daemon, I see another instance is running.

I don't know for sure, but my guess is that when I invoke the daemon, it
creates a temporary file in the /tmp directory containing information about
the session.  It then puts that information into the log-socket file in
the .gnupg subdirectory.  Then when I attempt to invoke gpg-agent, it reads
that information from the log-socket file.  The reason it's looking for the
S.gpg-agent file in the .gnupg directory instead of the /tmp/whatever
directory is because the log-socket file was not properly created, so the
proper path was not found.  Am I right about this?

How can I fix this?  I've messed with permission settings on log-socket, on
the .gnupg subdirectory (not much, since I want to keep it secure), and on
the /tmp subdirectory, but that doesn't seem to help.  And a search of Google
brings up very little that is relevant or is written in German (which I don't
read, unfortunately).

Anyone have any ideas?

--
Richard S. Crawford