January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] Dealing with different UIDs and GIDs

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 04:44:15PM -0800, Richard Crawford wrote:
> My wife has frequently talked about using our webhost as a place to store her
> personal files in the event that both her computer and our server here fail.
> Today I downloaded FUSE and SSHFS-FUSE and installed them both.  I was able
> to mount our account on our webhost to a directory in our shared account on
> our local server, like this:
>
> sshfs user@host.pair.com: /mountpoint

Neat! :^)

I've been playing with fish (in konqueror) and samba for various transfer
purposes (backups and MP3 ripping/sharing) between Melissa's laptop and my
desktop at home.

I need to look at this FUSE stuff.  And probably NFS some day.  *sigh* :)

Sorry I can't help with your actual problem.  (I did end up figuring
out the best way to be able to read/write files in my "/data/music"
folder on my desktop itself, as _my_ user, as well as via SMB as the
"music" user, when the dir is shared on Melissa's laptop...  ended up
doing some chown and chmod stuff, and some group setup for my account
and fmask/dmask setup in /etc/fstab on the laptop.  I was tired then,
and am tired now, and have none of it in front of me right now,