Re: [vox-tech] Chapters and links within pdf files

On Sun 04 Dec 05, 10:05 AM, Ken Bloom <kbloom@gmail.com> said:
> Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > When you look at the GDB User's Guide,
> >
> >    http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb.pdf.gz
> >
> > with xpdf, there's a left nav bar that allows you to choose chapters.  Also,
> > the TOC contains links to the relevant sections.  The font and layout looks
> > like tex/latex to me.
> >
> > How are the navbar and TOC links accomplished?
>
> Both are accomplished simply by including the hyperref package and using
> pdflatex to create the PDF. You'll also get hyperlinks from \cite{}
> commands to the appropriate bibliography entry.
>
> --Ken Bloom
>
> Another tip: I find it useful to include the geometry package in
> everything so that pdflatex can automatically generate the right size
> PDF. So my basic LaTeX header (for articles) comes out looking like:
>
> \documentclass[letterpaper]{article}
> \usepackage{hyperref}
> \usepackage{geometry}

Thanks Ken.  I didn't know about this package.

BTW, the documentation for hyperref says that you should load hyperref after
you've already loaded all other packages because it redefines many internal
latex macros.

Also, I've read on comp.text.tex that geometry should be loaded as early as
possible since many packages depend on various page layout dimensions.

Clearly this hasn't caused any problems for you, but I figured I'd mention
it.

Along with amsmath, geometry, and fancyvrb, I think hyperref is in my top
list of groovy latex packages now.  Thanks!

Pete