[vox-tech] postfix

Hey all,

I'm trying to get PostFix to work on a new Fedora Core
4 install. The postfix service won't start (FAILED) on
system bootup and I can't figure out why. I looked
over a guide at

http://postfix.state-of-mind.de/patrick.koetter/smtpauth/postfix_configuration.html

and everything seems OK. Am I missing something?

My other questions were these: Is it necessary to set
up separate POP3 and SMTP servers, or can just one
mail.mydomain.com server handle both directions of
communication?

If so (or even if not), how do you "establish" these
server(s)? Is it enough to just mention them in the
appropriate places in Postfix's main.cf file, or is
there something else you have to do beforehand in
order to "launch" them so Postfix finds them on system
startup?

The goal is to have a mail server which sends mail
to/from the rest of the Internet, and which can be
reached via a convential Windows-based client such as
Outlook. What steps do I need in order to reach this
goal? The system will have only one user, so sending
mail intra-system is not an issue.

Also, do I need to open port 25 in my firewall for
this to work? It seemed on a prior Linux install (FC
3), messages were getting through to other Internet
hosts when mailed directly using the mail command at
the $ prompt, but the system in question had only
ports 80 and 22 open, to the best of my knowledge. It
was also able to receive messages from external
domains such as yahoo.com. I installed and compiled
PostFix manually then (as opposed to during the Linux
install this time around) and don't understand why it
worked before and not now.

In case it's relevant, the entire system has only a
single static IP address on one physical box. Other
Internet-related services such as DNS and HTTP are
already functioning normally.

Any help and/or recommended resources for beginners
would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Matt