2005 Nov 30 00:01

[vox-tech] KDE on FreeBSD Hanging on login

[vox-tech] KDE on FreeBSD Hanging on login

Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum. I did not find this issue in the archives, if it is a duplicate, I apologize. Along the apology lines, I hope the lines are wrapping ok for you.

I am a newbie to FreeBSD. I managed to get the install to work after three tries, and even configured it to boot directly to the KDE boot manager, where I can login. I have a few minor issues, beginning with the inability to login using the KDE boot manager. This behavior started as soon as I tried to use the KDE boot manager to start Gnome. (I wanted to automount the cd drives, and read that Gnome does this by default, while I was not able to accomplish this in KDE. I am getting an error whenever I try to mount the CD in KDE.)

When I try to login using the graphical login screen, it acts like it will work, and then immediately returns to the graphical login screen. I have tried using the Menu button to choose the Session Type as KDE, but nothing seems to work. The Console Login seems to be inoperative. I suppose I should be able to boot directly to a command prompt, but I don't know how to make that change at boot time. Even if I manage to boot into console mode, I don't know where my configuration has been corrupted.

I also have a couple of minor issues with configuring printer, portable USB HD, and sound that I am hoping to work through.

If you have any suggestions, I am happy to try them. I am considering the sledge-hammer approach of reinstallation, but I would prefer to learn a little more about the OS instead.

Thank you for your help.

Michael