2005 Nov 07 16:05

Re: [vox-tech] display mess

Having absolutely _no_ idea as to which service might have caused this,
I would try posting the output of `chkconfig --list` to list which
daemons/applications run at which runlevel.

At runlevel 5 (normal X11), I think Fedora needs gdm (Gnome Display
Manager, or some such) to run the graphical login thingy.  That's one I
think you could check, at least.  You need this even if you run KDE,
b/c I think all X11 login screens use gdm.

But could you please post the output of `chkconfig --list`, and I might
be able to help you out more :)

--best of luck

jan

--- Cylar Z <cylarz@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I'm a novice user. I just finished installing Fedora
> Core 4. It went normally and without any problems.
>
> I SSH'ed into my new server via a local area network,
> ran "setup" from the prompt, and for security reasons,
> proceeded to shut down some system services that I
> believed were not needed.
>
> Here's the problem. After doing this, and then
> rebooting the server, the display is a "mess." It
> progresses normally through the startup procedures,
> but when it actually gets to the Fedora Core GUI login
> screen, the screen becomes a jumbled mess of color
> without a visible login prompt. The problem only
> appeared after I shut off those extra daemons.
>
> I can still SSH into the server normally via a WinXP
> box across the LAN. I did so, then went over the
> daemon list several times trying to figure out where I
> went wrong. None of the services listed seems to have
> anything to do with display per se, nor any of the
> GUIs supported by Fedora Core 4.
>
> Help, please. Any idea what I need to re-enable in
> order to fix this display issue?
>
> Thanks, Matt

I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. That is why right, temporarily defeated, is stronger than evil triumphant.
    Martin Luther King Jr., Accepting Nobel Peace Prize, Dec. 10, 1964