2005 Nov 07 16:05

[vox-tech] display mess

Hey all,

I'm a novice user. I just finished installing Fedora
Core 4. It went normally and without any problems.

I SSH'ed into my new server via a local area network,
ran "setup" from the prompt, and for security reasons,
proceeded to shut down some system services that I
believed were not needed.

Here's the problem. After doing this, and then
rebooting the server, the display is a "mess." It
progresses normally through the startup procedures,
but when it actually gets to the Fedora Core GUI login
screen, the screen becomes a jumbled mess of color
without a visible login prompt. The problem only
appeared after I shut off those extra daemons.

I can still SSH into the server normally via a WinXP
box across the LAN. I did so, then went over the
daemon list several times trying to figure out where I
went wrong. None of the services listed seems to have
anything to do with display per se, nor any of the
GUIs supported by Fedora Core 4.

Help, please. Any idea what I need to re-enable in
order to fix this display issue?

Thanks, Matt