2005 Oct 17 14:29

Re: [vox-tech] CUPS on FreeBSD

Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:
On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 19:32:48 -0700, Jeff Newmiller wrote:

CUPS emulates lpd.  The instructions you said you had followed
pointed out that you would have to mv the lpd commands in /usr/bin
so that the CUPS equivalents from /usr/local/bin would get invoked
instead from later in the PATH.

True, though that didn't eliminate lpd itself. But I was told the same thing yesterday on IRC, so I've killed off lpd and removed it from rc.conf. That may have been interfering. (I'd already renamed the related lpd commands.)
Killing off the daemon sounds appropriate.

At this point I've got it responding to shell commands and the web interface.
. . . .

After a lot of description of further problems, I started explaining that localhost isn't responding. Then I started fiddling, and ended up throwing out all I'd said, because I seem to have fixed it.
[... localhost fixes omitted ...]

The CUPS web interface is now working, as is the CUPS GUI administrator. I can pop back and forth and get the same results.
re: your other message... this stuff mostly sounds rather FreeBSD-specific.
Useful to document, but I am not qualified to comment.

Unfortunately, one of the results is that the printer isn't printing.

And NOW I feel that I've gotten enough other problems resolved to pass along my CUPS configuration files.
First, a couple screenshots:
http://jnork.nonken.net/images/Misc/PRINT-1.GIF
This screenshot says this printer is still sending data to a socket instead of a device. My systems only say this when the printer is on a different machine than the one on which I am looking at the CUPS configuration... and if browsing is enabled, CUPS will automatically make those printers available without having a local spooling entry.

http://jnork.nonken.net/images/Misc/PRINT-2.GIF

I got the same results whether I tried to connect via USB or JetPrint. For now I've set it to /dev/ulpt0 to reduce the number of variables.

And just to make sure, I just did
lptest 79 1 > /dev/ulpt0

and sure enough, the printer responded.

http://jnork.nonken.net/images/Misc/CUPS/
All I see in error_log is CUPS feeding data to itself as a result of the
incorrect specification of a socket instead of a physical device.

The printers.conf looks okay though, so I am thinking that perhaps the
error_log did not correspond to a test in which CUPS was configured
the way the printers.conf shows?

error_log.txt (I had to give it an extention so you could access it) contains very little, actually. I left the CUPS GUI configurator running, stopped cupsd, renamed the old error_log, started cupsd, and tried printing a test page. That's pretty much all that's in there, but at log level debug2 it's a very VERBOSE not-very-much.
It is not just verbose... it is repetitive.