2005 Oct 12 11:06

Re: [vox-tech] CUPS on FreeBSD

Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:01:31 -0700, Jeff Newmiller wrote:
[...]

In my case, verifying that the UID that the filters run under
(listed in cupsd.conf) have appropriate permissions was the most
challenging thing to get working right.  The CUPS daemon runs as
root, but runs actual print jobs as a lower-privilege user.
I've spent two days on this and I've gotten almost nowhere. If the next part is the _challenging_ bit, maybe I should throw in the towel now.
Sorry, I couldn't help but laugh at that. :-/  Anyway, my one datapoint
isn't enough to extrapolate to the nature of your problem.

However, I have set filters permissions according to instructions, FWIW. Whether that's an issue remains to be seen.
Ah, but have you verified that the appropriate users have permissions they
need?  I don't know how FreeBSD handles USB, but the UID that CUPS runs
under has to be able to access the device, as well as the printer
directories in  /var. (Kubuntu moved the default conf file from the
CUPS-recommended directory structure into the /etc to conform with Debian
standards, but that mostly changed how I dealt with multiple types of
printers.)

Anyway, you didn't make your conf file available, so I haven't been able to
offer any help with that.

One other thing... if you are trying to use a printer you added before you
stabilized your cupsd.conf file, you might want to try deleting that one and
adding it again.