2005 Oct 11 07:08

Re: [vox-tech] CUPS on FreeBSD

Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:
I know this is BSD I'm asking about, not Linux. At least it's not Windows. :)

I've been working on CUPS all frickin' day, and part of yesterday besides. I got the web interface to respond around 6pm.

I still can't get the server to respond.

# lp
lp: error - scheduler not responding!

# lpinfo -v
lpinfo: Unable to connect to server: Can't assign requested address

# lpr
lpr: error - scheduler not responding!

# lpadmin -p 5850 -E -v usb:/dev/ulpt0 -m HP-DeskJet_5850-hpijs.ppd lpadmin: Unable to connect to server: Can't assign requested address

http://jnork.nonken.net/images/Misc/Screenshot.jpg (The Cups utility I found and installed can't seem to see it, either.)

I'm still looking, but most of the how-to and help pages and documents I've found so far either assume you've already got it working, or assume that once you follow their instructions, it works without a hitch. Being a bit new to all this (*nix in general, CUPS in particular) I find I'm at a loss.

There's a copy of the CUPS error_log at http://jnork.nonken.net/downloads/error_log.txt if that helps any. Probably want to scroll to the end....

I mostly followed this: http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15325

about up to the point where it said
"The server can be configured with the aid of a web browser - simply point it at: http://localhost:631/admin";

when I got stalled for a while. I now have the web interface responding, but can't get any farther. If I try to add a printer via the web interface it gets as far as "Device" and then shows me a pull-down menu with nothing in it.

I do seem to have managed to add a printer with this:

# lpadmin -h aphrodite -p 5850 -E -v usb:/dev/ulpt0 -m HP-DeskJet_5850-hpijs.ppd

plus root's password (it prompts me), but none of the other commands seem to be able to let me specify the server. It would be a bit awkward to have to supply the root password every time I tried to print something anyway.

Help?
I don't know what the solution to your specific problem is... ("[CGI] CUPS-Get-Printers request failed - server-error-internal-error (500)")
but you haven't mentioned editing your CUPS cupsd.conf configuration
file... and the gui editors for that file seem
not-quite-ready-for-prime-time. RTFM for the options there. Once you
get it working locally (as in via browser connections to localhost and so forth), then consider trying to get it working on the network (from remote
machines).

In my case, verifying that the UID that the filters run under
(listed in cupsd.conf) have appropriate permissions was the most
challenging thing to get working right. The CUPS daemon runs as root,
but runs actual print jobs as a lower-privilege user.